Contributors

▼

18 Jan 2013

What Simon Cowell has taught me about writing

Okay, I confess (but don't tell anyone). I really like reality TV talent shows, particularly Britain's Got Talent and the X Factor. American Idol also has its moments. Over the last couple of years, I've been struck with the notion that there are equivalents between me and my writing and those would-be singers. Plugging away at my craft, facing the judgment of literary journals, agents, granting bodies and publishers, and dealing with the mostly rejections and occasion encouragement or minor success, I think I've learned from the successes and failures of the likes of Susan Boyle and Chris Maloney and the countless others whose names I have forgotten or never knew. Amid all the strutting and crooning and crying, I've gleaned a think or two. Here's my attempt at summarizing what Simon Cowell and his friends have taught me:


1 There are many reasons that people with talent don’t make it. These reasons might include:
·         Someone judging had a fight with their girlfriend/boyfriend/hairdresser
·         Someone judging is drunk or under the influence of narcotics
·         Someone, like a producer, gave bad advice
·         The person with talent chose the wrong song/genre/medium, etc.
·         The person with talent has the personality of a wet noodle.

2  There are many differences in opinion; don’t trust what any one person says, but if lots of people say the same thing, they are more likely to be right.

3  Just because you think you have talent doesn’t mean you actually do. We can delude ourselves.

4 Just because you don’t think you have much talent, doesn’t mean you don’t. We can underestimate ourselves.

5 Sometimes you should listen to no, and sometimes you shouldn’t. (See 2,3, and 4 above.)

6 Young people are capable of a great deal, not just in terms of raw talent, but drive, dedication and maturity.

7  Humans like surprises, in art as well as in people.

8  Everyone likes a good rags to riches story, but especially the rags part.

9 People considered strange in everyday life are often fascinating and attractive if put on a stage. Big personalities need distance to be most appreciated. NOTE: there is such a thing as being too weird (see below).

 10.   Talent in restraint with the occasional burst of brilliance is ideal. A wild streak is great, as long as it is just a streak and not a full immersion.

  11.   Humility is appealing. So is authenticity.

 12.   Hard work and determination are essential, but not enough on their own.
  
 13. There is a big difference between good and great.


1 comment:

  1. I think I'll go with number one instead of number three. Next time I get a rejection, I'll tell myself, "that editor was obviously drunk!"

    ReplyDelete