1 There are many reasons that people with talent don’t make it. These reasons might include:
· Someone judging had a fight with their girlfriend/boyfriend/hairdresser
· Someone judging is drunk or under the influence of narcotics
· Someone, like a producer, gave bad advice
· The person with talent chose the wrong song/genre/medium, etc.
· The person with talent has the personality of a wet noodle.
2 There are many differences in opinion; don’t trust what any one person says, but if lots of people say the same thing, they are more likely to be right.
3 Just because you think you have talent doesn’t mean you actually do. We can delude ourselves.
4 Just because you don’t think you have much talent, doesn’t mean you don’t. We can underestimate ourselves.
5 Sometimes you should listen to no, and sometimes you shouldn’t. (See 2,3, and 4 above.)
6 Young people are capable of a great deal, not just in terms of raw talent, but drive, dedication and maturity.
7 Humans like surprises, in art as well as in people.
8 Everyone likes a good rags to riches story, but especially the rags part.
9 People considered strange in everyday life are often fascinating and attractive if put on a stage. Big personalities need distance to be most appreciated. NOTE: there is such a thing as being too weird (see below).
10. Talent in restraint with the occasional burst of brilliance is ideal. A wild streak is great, as long as it is just a streak and not a full immersion.
11. Humility is appealing. So is authenticity.
12. Hard work and determination are essential, but not enough on their own.
13. There is a big difference between good and great.