19 Jul 2020

Virtual Tour of an Asteroid

by Paula Johanson
When I was a child, I watched every Apollo launch. Each of the moon landings was celebrated in my home. If (like me) you've ever wished you could be an astronaut, there are lots of things to do with that dream. One way I connect with my inner astronaut is to go to this NASA website, Ryugu Trek.

Ryugu is an asteroid that has been visited by a space probe called Hayabusa2.  On the website Ryugu Trek, you can use your computer to look all around this rocky asteroid. Thousands of photographs have been worked together to create a virtual tour. You can change the image settings like a video game, to see what you'd see flying your own space probe over and around the surface of Ryugu.

Take a little time to check out this website! Click on this link to try the various tours and downloads available. It makes me feel like I understand more about the scientists studying the images of this stony little member of our solar system.

No comments: