4 Dec 2020

Fungus Photos

 by Jan Thornhill

[Today's post is based on some images and captions by Jan Thornhill. Her studies of fungus lead her to make photographs with surprising colours and textures! There are spores and bracket fungus and more.]

 

 

I found a new hen-of-the-woods (Grifola frondosa) fungus growing at the base of a tree, and took a quick location pic so I'd be able to find the same tree again next year. (My criteria for this location pic are: identifiable mushroom in foreground and, in the background, a fallen-tree-on-the-embankment landmark). Then I downloaded what I think is easily the best hen picture I've ever taken. I wish I'd had something to do with it!  


Here is Rhodofomes cajanderi, one of 2 pink-pored shelf fungi in Ontario (the other is R. rosea). Both are uncommon where I live. I can't get over the colour of this one! 

 


One of my favourite tiny gilled mushrooms - Resupinatus applicatus. Compare this image of the underside of these mushrooms to a photo of the topside, with my hand for scale.





This fungus is Gomphus clavatus (or Pig's Foot Gomphus - one of my favourite common names). It is a choice edible mushroom that, like the Chanterelle, has "folds" instead of gills. Despite the purplish colour, this mushroom produces ochre spores (visible on a couple of lobes in this pic).




Ever find raccoon scat sporting hair? If the "hair" tips are beaded with minute yellow spheres that then turn black (as the enclosed spores mature) you've probably found the fungal mold, Phycomyces blakesleeanus.



It's taken 30 years, but I finally found the jelly fungus, Dacryopinax spathularia! Here it is, growing on and in a fallen log.


[Mushrooms, of course, are more than the little round white shapes found in grocery stores. It's tricky to tell wild mushrooms apart. If you find some fungi growing wild, better not eat them. Just enjoy their looks and leave any eating to experts like Jan Thornhill.]

No comments: